Effetto Mariposa CarboGgrip Tech Video
In this CarboGrip tech video Effetto Mariposa showcases some ways to use Carbogrip and some tips for home mechanics.
- avoids unwanted movements of clamped components
- water-proof: prevents part seizing over time
- being an electric insulator, prevents galvanic corrosion and cold welding between metals
- perfect as threadlock for titanium or aluminum bolts
- can be used to silence once for all Press-Fit BBs
- we keep on finding new applications for Carbogrip (see list below..)!
- doesn t scratch carbon parts, can be completely removed
The perfect complement for Giustaforza torque wrench:
a torque wrench is sometimes not enough when dealing with carbon parts, especially if those parts refuse to stay in place when tightened respecting the recommended torque values. The dangerous, normal reaction when a seatpost or a handlebar slips at the recommended torque value is over-tightening the bolts and that s not safe.
Carbogrip is the perfect complement for Giustaforza torque wrench: applied on a component, it polymerizes in a time ranging from 3 to 5 minutes, creating an extremely grippy surface, avoiding unwanted movements after tightening the bolts to the suggested torque.
Carbogrip is available as 75 ml spray canister or in boxes of 15 blisters (3 ml of liquid resin each).
What s inside (and what is not):
Carbogrip is a special high-molecular weight silicone resin. It doesn't scratch components as it doesn t contain sand or hard friction powder.
How it works:
Basically, when clamping force is applied, the high friction layer of Carbogrip keeps the part in place but when the clamping force is removed (bolts untightened) silicone acts as a release agent, allowing an easy component removal.
over time, other mounting pastes can be washed away or loose their properties. Not Carbogrip, and here s why it creates a very stable layer that makes it so effective as an anti-seizing:
- it s waterproof, so that if used on a seatpost it prevents water from getting in the frame;
- it s an electric insulator, preventing galvanic corrosion / cold welding between different metals;
- it s resistant to very high temperatures, so the resin won t melt or migrate or change its properties.
Carbogrip can be easily removed using Carbomove or other petrol-based solvents (white, mineral spirits for example).
Many applications for Carbogrip:
- originally created as mounting paste for carbon components;
- works great as thread-lock compound (steel, titanium, aluminum, carbon bolts);
- ideal for mountain bike grips: applied on the internal grip surface, it makes sure the grip easily slides onto the handlebar, locking it in place when the resin polymerizes some minutes later. The grip can then be removed blowing air inside with a compressor;
- spread on the talon of tubeless tyres prevents bead movement for low-pressure riding;
- applied on bottom bracket cups before assembling them, it s great to prevent noises or creacking in the BB area (both threaded and press-fit BBs);
- there re surely others we didn t think of yet
How to use Carbogrip as an assembly compound:
- carefully clean/degrease the mounting surfaces. Seatpost: remove grease traces inside the seat-tube too;
- apply Carbogrip on the component and immediately mount it;
- tighten the mounting bolts to the suggested torque value;
- wait 5 minutes before using the component;
- unwanted Carbogrip traces can be removed with Carbomove or other petrol-based solvents.
Tips and tricks:
- Spray: if not using Carbogrip frequently (or forgetting to put the bottle cap after use) the resin could set inside the nozzle, blocking it.
If that s the case, just remove the nozzle: a droplet of Carbomove (or other petrol-based solvents) inside it will restore its functionality.
- Blister: if an opened blister is not emptied, the resin will polymerize and close the small opening, preserving the content for more applications.
Made in Italy.