Designed to handle abuse, the 1,620g wheels feature wide rims (23mm internal) to better support broad tires. For reference, most road wheels these days are about 16mm internally, which works well with 23-28 tires.
Clément’s alloy Ushuaia, with a hookless tubeless rim, can handle everything from 28mm up to a monstrous 50mm. To help prevent burping, the rim bed has a small lip to keep the tire pressed up against the rim. The wheels can be used with clincher tires, but they come with tubeless valves and rim tape; you’ll just need sealant and tubeless tires, from Clément or any other brand.
While fairly specific in purpose — namely getting rowdy on drop-bar bikes — the Ushuaia wheels are broad in compatibility. To mate with frames, the wheels work with quick-release and thru-axle (including 142x12mm rear as well as 135x15mm) with thread-on end caps. And to mate with rotors, the wheels are Centerlock or six-bolt, to play nice with Shimano and SRAM.They can also accommodate SRAM's XD driver for use with a 10t cassette.
For durability, the wheels use 28 J-bend spokes front and back, with flanges that are angled in line with the spokes to reduce stress. It’s a subtle but sensible design. The hubs have sealed bearings. Bikeradar
– 1620 grams
– Sleeved rim – 23 mm internal, 26 mm outside, 25 mm deep. Hookless design, tubeless ready
– Compatibility with all axle types – standard QR, 12 mm front, 15 mm front and 142×12 mm rear
– 28 Hole front and rear
– Sealed bearing hubs
– Centerlock or six bolt
– Angled flange design
– 36 point engagement, traditional Shimano style freehub. Also available with XD driver body
– Double butted spokes and top hat style nipples for increased strength
– Traditional J Bend spokes for easy replacement
– Comes with tubeless valves and rim tape