Carogna Tubular Tape by Effetto Mariposa is double adhesive, pressure sensitive tape for gluing tubular tires onto aluminum or carbon rims.
Robin Wilmott of BikeRadar ..
“Thanks to Effetto Mariposa’s Carogna double-sided, gel-like
tape, I fitted a pair of Challenge cyclocross tubs in an hour and a half. If
you follow the instructions and don’t rush it’s very effective – tyres I fitted
with it three years ago are still going strong.”
Universal performance: Carogna has been tested and is designed to perform flawlessly on any rim material (aluminum, carbon), with any tubular (seamless, handmade, vulcanized sew-ups ), on and off-road (cyclocross, mountain bike).
- “S” (16.5 mm wide) for traditional/legacy tubular rims (width of the gluing channel between 15 and 18 mm)
- “SM” (20 mm wide) for common tubular rims (width of the gluing channel between 18 and 22 mm)
- “M” (25 mm wide) for some aero or cyclocross tubular rims (width of the gluing channel between 22 and 26 mm)
- “L” (30 mm wide) for super wide and/or gravel-specific tubular rims (width of the gluing channel between 26 and 32 mm)
Specific adhesive properties on rim and tubular: the tape has two application-specific sides:
- Semi-structural and removable on the rim-side: adhesion is guaranteed by industrial-grade acrylic glue, native to the base tape; this means that when removing the tubular (breaking its bond with the rim), the acrylic glue will stay on the tape, not on the rim. Acrylic has a good adhesion on both aluminum and carbon without any specific surface preparation.
- Permanent on the tubular side: there s a 1 mm-thick layer of a recently-developed permanent glue for underwater applications. This thick glue film will move and spread when the tubular is first inflated, ensuring optimized contact with any tubular base tape geometry. Humidity is obviously not an issue, and this glue adheres well to any kind of base tape material (nylon, cotton, poly-cotton) or external finishing (raw, brushed, or coated by neoprene).
The big question: does it work for cyclocross?